Wednesday, November 12, 2008

New Crayons


I am so excited. This blog is not solely for my frugal finds. It is also supposed to be about all the cool things I am doing! SO, lets get off topic for a moment and talk about the rest of life! We made some really cool new crayons earlier this month. It was a project I had been dying to do and it proved to be well worth the mess and time!

I decided to do this because I remember coloring with these as a kid (at Ms Molly's I think) Then I ran across the instructions as I was working on stuff for my kids Sunday School class. I decided that since we had more broken crayons than whole, it would be a good project. SO, I sat at the table and pealed all the broken crayons and divided them by color. Which was great fun and learning for the kids as we talked all about colors, matching, trying SO hard to get some of that paper off!

Then I baked them in the oven at 250 for just about 10 maybe 15 minutes. They melted, but still seemed to have chunks.

My husband wanted so bad to stir them, but we resisted the temptation and when I shook them a little as they came out the remaining lumps disappeared.

They cooled very well and pretty quick, within 20 min I am thinking. Once they felt hard on top and pretty cool on the bottom, we popped them out.

It wasn't long and the kids were coloring and having a blast! It was fun! AND the kids still LOVE playing with their "new" crayons. YAY! I am thinking about talking to our Preschool Director at Church about doing this with some of those broken crayons...not sure if I am really up to that just yet though.
-There were a few lessons I learned. The muffin pan does not really want to let go of the left over wax, so I will just use this pan for craft stuff from now on. (which is okay, since I still have my stone pans I always use)
-The cheap crayons, seemed to have LOTS more wax and left a yucky clear residue on the tops of some. If/when I do this again, I may try to shave that part off sometime during the cooling process.
Again, overall it was a LOT of fun!

2 comments:

Scott said...

yes I have done this...yes we had the same nasty clear junk on top...I used mini muffin tins...i did marble crayons not solid colors...they are much harder to break this way!

John and Brenden said...

I am just so impressed. I've been nazi woman over the crayons, but maybe I'll let them tear them up now, so I can try this one day, too!