Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Because I know you will understand and laugh...

Well, we are trying to teach our children (the boys) not to come out of their room until about 8 am. This is because Mommy really needs this time to get awake, read for school, spend some time with the Lord, exercise and get some housework done. Not that I would do all of that in any given morning but those are all options that I "need" right now :)

So in order to do this, we put a digital clock in the boys room and told them they could not come out until they saw an 8. (I am quite certain Matt showed him where the 8 needed to be) They are more than welcome to get down and play with their toys or whatever they so choose so long as they stay in their room. Joshua assured us that he understood (which is important, because HE is the one who can open the door).

Well, I removed Lydia from the room when she started crying around 7 this morning. Nursed her and put her in her pack n play in my room. Then went back to my studying. Then sometime around 7:15 I heard the boys. I thought this would be a good test. We really didn't expect that it would work on day one, but I was willing to try. Work with them and help them learn.

Joshua and Asher came running down the hall at about 7:20, I was shocked. I really thought this would have lasted a little longer. I was even more surprised to hear Joshua saying, "Mom, my clock has an 8 on it" followed by the words "and a 7, and a 1" Yeah, it was 7:18...

Oh well. I did get some studying in this morning. And it was a good learning experience for me. Tonight I will make sure that Joshua knows where the 8 needs to be on the clock!

Do any of you do something like this? If so how does it work? Have you always done it? If not, how long did it take to get it in place? I would love any advice on this!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a lot of friends at church that do - not sure how well it worked, but I did laugh b/c about 3 months ago zach thought we should try it w/ Keaton...when he's a lil older than 2, yes - not at 18 months, LOL

good luck!

Amy said...

take a picture of the clock saying 8:00 and put it next to the clock and tell them that when the clock matches the picture they can come out

The Chilsons said...

THANK YOU! I love to read your comments. It is good to know there is someone else out there!! Thanks for reading and offering advice!

The Copelands said...

I like Amy's idea! We do this with our boys but of course Blake is older. We've mainly had to work with them playing QUIETLY, so they won't wake up their sister. So, our rule is stay in your room and quiet until 8:00. As long as Blake does this he won't have to take a nap that day (we only have to deal with this on Saturday and Sunday by the way). Sorry, I know that's no help....but thought I'd add anyway! Good luck!!

The Chilsons said...

that is cool to get some good ideas for what happens if you don't do it! Thanks...:) For now I have put tape over all the other numbers...the only number he can see is the first one, today it worked like a charm, I may change that once I get to take a photo and get it developed!

Sylvia Goode Basham said...

Wish I'd thought of an 8 when I did this exact thing with my older girls (now 21 and 19.) I let them out at 7! Aaack! is all I can say now.

My younger two don't have a problem sleeping in. As a matter of fact, since it's almost 9, I should go get them to start school :-)

Your shopping escapades are quite impressive. When I do really well at a store, I put my receipt on the fridge and tell my husband that I'm posting my "grade card." But I don't know that I've ever done as well as you....