Wednesday, August 3, 2011

100% Whole Wheat Bread

Do you make your own bread? Do you want to? Well, as I think I have shared before we grind our own grain, and I like to make our own bread. However when I make my own bread I like to use all whole wheat, that I have ground. MOST of the recipes I have found are not what we want....they include a different kind of flour, or they are way to thick and crumbly. It has been driving me crazy!

But now....I have found a recipe that we really like and is really simple! Want to see it?

100% Whole Wheat Bread

ingredients

1 3/4 C warm water (110 degrees F)
1/4 C honey
2 tsp. instant yeast
6 C Stone ground whole wheat flour
6 T Vital wheat gluten
1 T Flax seed
1 T Flax seed mill
1 T rolled oats
1 T sesame seed
1 T quinoa (I use some type of substitute)
1 T Sunflower seeds
1 t salt
2 T coconut oil, melted

Directions-

Pour warm water and honey into a large bowl, and stir to dissolve honey. Sprinkle the yeast over the top of the liquid and let stand until the yeast bubbles and forms a creamy layer.

In a bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, gluten, flax seed, flax seed mill, rolled oats, sesame seed, quiona, sunflower seeds and salt until the seeds are dispersed evenly. Pour the flour mixture into the yeast mixture, add the coconut oil and mix everything together. Scoop the dough out onto a well floured surface, and knead until smooth and springy (which I would just say need for about 15 min). Allow dough to rest for 15 minutes and then knead for another 10 minutes.

Form the dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl, and turn the ball over several times to coat with oil. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 30-45 min.

Grease two 9x5 loaf pans. Punch down the dough, and cut into 2 pieces. Form each piece into a loaf and place into the loaf pans., seam side down, and cover the pans with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled, about 30 min.

Preheat oven to 350. Bake the loaves in the preheated oven until they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. 30-35 mins. I brush mine with coconut oil after they come out of the oven....mmmm...

I love that my children are growing up with the smells of freshly baked bread. THAT makes me smile!

Okay now I am off to bake! I am planning to make at least a double batch of this today. Four loaves should do it.....hmm....maybe I will make six.....

5 comments:

The Roberts Eight said...

just wondering...why don't you use quinoa?

The Chilsons said...

B/c the store where I bought everything, didn't have it and he gave me something else, that he said was the same thing :)

The Roberts Eight said...

ohh. :) ok. thought there was something wrong with quinoa.

The Chilsons said...

NO! Not at all! That was for sure my first choice :) I don't know anything about it though! Do you use it?

Faye Creech said...

Whole Foods has quinoa. I'm gonna try this recipe, Jess, as soon as I get my ingredients restocked. Thanks!