Saturday, February 20, 2010

Alternative Sugars

Another thing we have been trying to do differently is less SUGAR! We have cut the sugar intake of our family drastically! It makes me happy to know that my kids consume MUCH less sugar than they used to! The only things we use sugar in now are coffee, and sweet tea (which we are also drinking LOTS less of these days, less tea, more coffee-which is probably not good)

SO, what are we using? We have been using mostly honey and sucanat. So far we have been pleased. Sucanat is dehydrated sugar cane juice. We have used stevia just a little, in baking. I have been searching for a good sugar substitute in coffee. Agave Nectar is good, but seems rather expensive. This week at Harris Teeter, we were able to get a few things with their Super Double Coupon deal. As you well know I LOVE coupons and thankfully just because we are eating different, doesn't mean I have to give up coupons! I was able to score some really sweet deals!

One thing I got was Sun Crystals. It is supposedly a natural sweetener that uses only stevia and sugar cane juice. Matt and I tried it in our coffee, but we really didn't like it! :( I wanted to share the idea with you though because I thought someone else might like it! If you go to the link above you can find a free sample of them and I think it is for sure worth trying! I do not regret my purchase at all, and I hope to try the sweetener with something else soon!

No comments: